Quinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger

Quinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger

It's burger time...

Quinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger

Quinoa & White Bean Veggie BurgerQuinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger
I haven't done a veggie burger in almost a year. It was time to add a new one to the list and this one is as delicious as it gets. These patties are loaded with protein and fiber as well as other beneficial nutrients, and they are very filling. As far as veggie burgers go this is fairly easy. I have to admit that I'm a pretty lazy cook and don't like a lot of steps. I prefer to spend as little time as possible preparing a meal as well as cleaning it up. Fyi, you can make this recipe even simpler by using a pre-made flour instead of processing oats like I did. The patties came out fantastic and held up great without falling apart, and they were not dry at all, nor were they mushy. The texture, taste and visual appeal all hit the mark. Once layered with all the extra goodies this burger was supreme and the best veggie burger I've ever had...am I biased...maybe, but these were divine! And, if you don't feel like having it on a bun, by all means top your veggie burger on a bed of fresh leafy greens with a squeeze of lemon, some avocado, salt and pepper...so good just like that! 

Quinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger

I loaded this beauty up with leafy greens, slice of heirloom tomato, sliced red onion, whole grain mustard, mashed avocado and a nice drizzle of sriracha. Lot's of flavors going on and I loved it. As the saying goes, "Eat like you mean it!" 

Quinoa & White Bean Veggie BurgerQuinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger

Quinoa & White Bean Veggie BurgerQuinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger

Quinoa & White Bean Veggie BurgerQuinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger
Quinoa & White Bean Veggie BurgerQuinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger

And now for the money shot! Having fun with my iphone and the VSCO Cam app (it's free), managed to create this final mouthwatering picture...veggie love at first sight!

Choose your cooking style...stove top

Quinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger

Ingredients (makes four patties)
  • 1/2 cup quinoa (I used tri-color)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3 teaspoons thyme, divided (oregano would be good too)
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon smoked paprika 
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, optional
  • 1 can (15 oz.) white beans (I used cannellini), drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen (about 1/2 fresh corn off the cob)
  • 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced (about 1/2 bell pepper)
  • 1/2 cup shallot, finely diced (about 1 medium) or red onion
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1/3 cup oat flour, or flour of choice 
  • 1 Ener-G egg replacer or 1 flax egg (1 Tbs flaxseed meal + 3 Tbs water), optional*
  • mineral salt & cracked pepper, to taste
  • coconut or olive oil, to grease

To Serve:
  • tomato, sliced
  • leafy greens
  • avocado, sliced or mashed
  • red onion, sliced
  • whole grain or dijon mustard (hummus or vegan mayo is great too)
  • sriracha or Sriracha Cashew Cream (use the sriracha cream in place of mustard)
  • burger buns of choice

Start by making your flax egg or ener-g egg replacer and set aside. If baking in the oven, turn oven to 375 degrees F. (It's helpful to read instructions first before making the patties)  

In a medium pot, bring water, quinoa, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon thyme to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Once done, remove cover and let set for 10 minutes.

While quinoa is cooking, prepare your corn, shallot and red pepper. Be sure to dice your onion and red pepper fairly fine, they should be about the same size as the corn kernels.

Next, mash your beans. I mashed about 3/4 of the beans leaving a quarter of the batch whole or somewhat whole.

Once quinoa is ready, add the quinoa to the beans along with the shallots, red pepper, corn, remaining 2 teaspoons thyme, smoked paprika and optional chipotle powder and lemon juice. Mix well. Add in the flour and egg replacer, mix well again. Season to taste with salt, pepper and more of the other spices. We all vary on how strong we like our spices...you can't take out but you can always put in.

Now to divide and make your patties. I like to pat my mixture into the bowl a little and divide it with a knife into 4 sections, making a plus sign if you will. Take each section and pack it tightly into a ball in the palm of your hands. It should be about the size of your hand. Flatten with your palms and place on hard surface. Cup the edges with your palms and tighten them in a bit and flatten the top to the desired size. Mine were about 1/2 inch thick by 3 1/2 - 4 inches.

Cook one of two ways:

In the oven at 375 degrees on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet for 30 minutes, turning once after 15 minutes. I also added a sprinkle of himalayan salt to the top before baking.

OR

In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil over medium to medium high heat. Cook patties about 4 - 5 minutes on each side.

I cooked both ways and had no preference. They both held up well and cooked great. (pic shows skillet cooked)

Serve on bun or bed of leafy greens with choice of toppings!

Notes:

The patties can be made ahead of time and stored covered in the refrigerator for a couple days prior to cooking.

*I have a sneaky feeling that this can be made without the use of any egg replacer if you don't have it available. I have it here for good measure until I try without (in the comments you will see that it has been done). If you decide not to use an egg replacer, when adding the flour, just try adding two - three tablespoons of water instead if needed...the amount may depend on the flour you're using.

For mashed avocado, cut open avocado, remove seed and using a fork, mash the flesh right in the skin...it's like a bowl. Spread on bun for a great creamy condiment!

I hope this makes you want to get in the kitchen and cook.
I encourage you to make these soon and often...

Enjoy!

74 comments :

  1. This burger looks amazing! I love all of the ingredients and how colourful it looks. Definitely going to make me some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not vegan so instead of the egg replacer can I use for this recipe one egg? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a comment on my facebook post from someone who used an egg and the mixture was a little too wet so they added more flour. work out well and they loved the flavor of the patty. I really think that you can make this without any egg or egg replacer making this even easier and better. I have noted this in the recipe. Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Also just a sidenote, the veganized egg options are sometimes fabulous because there is less clean up! LOL. Just a lazy foodie ... any excuse not to have extra clean up is good by me!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I agree Laurel....less mess, less cleanup...still delicious food! Win, Win. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh yum! I just hopped on over here from Pinterest. :-) I'm not a corn eater - what would you recommend as a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try finely diced carrot or zucchini in place of the corn. Will taste great!

      Delete
    2. I just didn't make a substitution and left out the corn. Still worked out great!

      Delete
  4. This recipe looks yummy. I need more taste bud stimulation so I can see myself adding chopped jalapeno, too. I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot get quinua where I live overseas. Do you know if I could sub anything else for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest trying millet in place of the quinoa. Would love to know how it turns out!

      Delete
  6. This looks so good! Quinoa is so versatile and filling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monique! I was just drooling over some of your fantastic recipes yesterday. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh. My. Lord. I have been absolutely obsessed with the concept of vegetarian burgers lately so I order them at every restaurant to get some inspiration. It looks like the beans mostly hold this recipe together? Oh and I LOVE all of the fresh veggies you mixed in to the "patty".

    One cool thing that I had a couple of weeks ago (that I had never heard of) is that they used cashew powder in a red lentil veggie burger that I order. Cashew powder! Maybe you'd be interested in looking into that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cashew powder is very interesting! Cashews are amazing and so versatile. I'll look into that.

      I would say the quinoa and the flour hold this together. I had no problem with them at all, they held together great!

      Thank you for the fyi about the cashew powder. Cheers :)

      Delete
  9. Just made these and they are awesome! I subbed chia egg for the flax egg and left out the corn. They held together really well and I ended up with about 8 smaller size pattys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chia egg is perfect! Smaller patties are great, these were pretty humungous but they sure fit the bun perfectly! I would love some little ones on top of a bed of lettuce. I love veggie patties on salads. Thanks for stopping to share Lauren. :)

      Delete
  10. I've been trying to find the recipe for Whole Foods Veggie Burger and this recipe is very close to the ingredients on the package with other additional items. This will be a great starting point for me to work from. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found this recipe to try to recreate your old favorite. I'm sure you'll come with what your looking for. Cheers :)

      Delete
  11. I prepared them today without the egg and they were perfect! loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a feeling the egg is not necessary. There is a nice combination of flour and moisture to hold every just fine. Thank you so much for stopping to share that with us! ♥

      Delete
  12. I don't have beans, I'm going to try it with red lentils instead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This recipe is seriously off the charts delicious. My only beef is that it is so good I could eat two! And I doubled the recipe because I am always a hungry vegan. Gorilla eats greens so I eat like gorilla!

    I omitted the egg substitute and used rice flour because it was the first one I grabbed. I do not like paprika so omitted. This one is a keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! So glad you loved these. I agree, I could eat two too! :)

      Delete
    2. would I be able to freeze a batch of cooked burgers?

      Delete
    3. I haven't tried freezing them yet but would venture to say that they should freeze well. Just be sure to let them thaw before cooking.

      Delete
  14. julie, this was awesome. the only thing i missed from your pictures was the tri color quinoa that I just can't get here. thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For those wanting to use coconut flour, I substituted about 2 tbsp and used the chia substitute for the flax egg. The burgers held up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda for sharing! I'll have to try that myself next time!

      Delete
  16. Can you say yum?!? I'm definitely trying this one! Thanks...also reblogged it :)

    Cheers, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  17. They didn't really work for me! They completely fell apart in the first try but after adding some more flour they held together, I have no idea what I did wrong, anyways they tasted okay,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry they didn't hold together for you but glad they tasted good! I'm not sure either what happened...maybe next time they'll work out better.

      Delete
  18. I don't have Oat Flour and I have Celiac. Can I use All purpose Gluten Free flour? I have that in my pantry. I guess I'll have to use a GF bun or maybe no bun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it says in the recipe, use flour of choice. You don't need a bun, cut it up and top it on a bed of leafy greens. Hope you enjoy them :)

      Delete
  19. I made this last week, delicious! It will definitely become one of our regular meals. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you think we could freeze these patties once cooked? :) It looks super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried freezing them yet. If either of you give it a try I would love to know too! They would probably be ok but again after thawing and reheating but I just can't say for sure.

      Delete
  21. Delicious. I overcooked mine a bit, but still super tasty. I think the lemon really adds something.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look delicious! I am definitely going to be trying them out during Lent this year. I am sharing your recipe on my blog tomorrow for my meatless recipe round up. Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you will love this recipe! Thank you so much for sharing it with your readers. Cheers :)

      Delete
  23. I made these last night for my husband and he loved them! We just had them with a salad on the side and they were great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! I love it with just a salad too! Cheers :)

      Delete
  24. Perfect recipe! They came out great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i just tried making these tonight and they were soo good! we didn't use the egg replacer and it came out fine. they were super moist and flavorful - i think the lemon juice was a great call.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I made an extremely similar burger last night that had no egg replacer and fell apart a little while baking. I would highly recommend using the egg replacer. I know I will next time!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic recipe! Easy and fun to make and, above all, THEY STICK TOGETHER. I used a little extra flax just in case (about 2T + 4T H2O) and mine turned out great. Thanks for this as well as your other recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. okay-this was my first dud. any suggestions for a better taste? they were dry and tasteless-and i usually have a bland pallet, but these were not tasty at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I know you've tried many of the recipes and have had great luck with many of them. I'm wondering if you added all the spices, or maybe you simply need to amp up the spices adding more. I haven't had any comments on bland flavor yet for this one. Pump up the volume with extra spices and see if that works for you. ;)

      Delete
  29. Can u specify calories in your recipes ? Im trying to follow weight watchers so keeping track of my points
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do the nutritional values as I don't follow them myself, and it's an extra step that's time consuming. Maybe in the future I'll add that but until then you can find out by taking a look at the following link. It's a post from the Kitchn with 3 nutritional data sources for you to calculate any recipe finding calories, carbs, fat, etc....

      http://www.thekitchn.com/how-can-home-cooks-calculate-n-91782

      Hope that helps and best of wishes with your weight watchers! Cheers :)

      Delete
    2. Hi, I just made these and worked out the nutritional profile. I used 9g flaxseed, 83g quinoa, 70g red pepper, 86g corn, 40g onion, 240g (drained weight) cannellini, 20ml lemon juice and 38g oat flour. I divided the mixture into 6 patties. Each one came out at 24g carb,8,3 protein, 2,5 fat, 16.2 calcium, no cholesterol and 1.1mg iron. Calories 152.5 . Unfortunately, neither my husband nor I liked them much - we think perhaps they might be better if the peppers and onions were cooked beforehand. What do you think Julie?

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the nutritional info! You can most definitely cook your peppers and onions beforehand, it will soften them up at bit. For myself, I love the recipe as is for texture and ease...but that's just me. I think your suggestion will be helpful and maybe inspire others to think about it and give it try. This is why I love hearing others take on all the reicpes here...it can be really helpful! Cheers :)

      Delete
    4. Hi, Amanda, I cooked the onions and peppers when I made these because I didn't think the onions and peppers would cook all the way in a quick skillet fry and don't particularly like the taste of raw onions and peppers. They were still extremely bland. I even added in some southwest seasoning after tasting them and it did little to help. I suppose it needs to be paired with some type of sauce like an aoli to be truly great, but I wouldn't waste my time, money or effort again. Thanks for the nutritional profile! I was honestly thinking these would be higher in protein considering they contain both quinoa and beans, and since I am looking for a higher protein burger, these are not for me anyway.

      Delete
  30. These are great! I made a few adjustments for a curried version. Grated in some fresh tumeric when I sauteed the onion (didn't have shallots), corn and (added) a grated carrot. Ground tumeric, coriander, fresh ginger and cilantro. Oat flour (actually more like oats I whizzed up in the food processor) and no egg. They were perfect! Will be using again, there are so many variations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to do a curry burger! I bet it was good here with all your other additions. So glad you were able to adapt the recipe and hope you enjoy it often...in many variations! Cheers :)

      Delete
  31. Have your tried these burgers on a grill? I am going to a BBQ this weekend and would love to bring these with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, i havn't but would imagine they would be great grilled. Would love to know how it goes if you try it!

      Delete
  32. I love veggie burgers. nice post

    ReplyDelete
  33. I tried these tonight and thought they were a little bland myself... Thinking I may try adding some nutritional yeast to add some depth to the flavor next time. I also thought the burger was way big! I only cooked one tonight and patties the rest and threw them in the freezer. After I ate I took them back out and broke the three left over patties and broke them down into four..... Looking forward to having the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Do you think you could just roll these into balls to bake as a little quinoa ball to dip??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I think that sounds like a fabulous idea! :)

      Delete
    2. Yay! Thanks! Will give it a go, thinking of fun things for my kids to dip haha.

      Delete
  35. I made a big batch and baked half and pan fried the other half. The pan fried ones were definitely way better than the baked ones. The baked ones went a little dry and crumbly, but the pan fried were delicious. Fantastic recipe - I also added mushrooms in mine as I needed to use them up, and they were perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I was wondering if you have tried this with other beans,looked in pantry and I have every other bean on earth just not white.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try other beans... the flavors will work fine with most beans! Enjoy...

      Delete