Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Raw Chocolate Pudding: 3 Ways

 Raw Chocolate Pudding: 3 Ways

The best pudding ever, vegan or not, it is simply amazing! It's taken me a good few months to finally get around to trying this out and as I expected it is delicious in every way. Made from avocado, banana and cacao/cocoa powder along with a few various other ingredients and you have a most wonderful healthy, dairy free, wholesome pudding that will rival any other. I have here three amazing ways to enjoy this pudding. All three are wonderful with my personal favorites being the addition of cinnamon, and I love the orange too. Oh, and a dollop of the coconut whipped cream on top takes it to another level....absolutely heavenly! I also used some vegan chocolate chips and cinnamon as garnish. Mix and match the toppings on all three recipes. You will find a basic chocolate pudding, an orange chocolate pudding and a cinnamon espresso chocolate pudding. Lots of ways to keep this pudding versatile and fresh. I'm sure you can add your own flair to any of these making it even more personal. I would love to hear any additions you might think of. Maybe a dash of cayenne pepper for a spicy chocolate pudding. Have fun experimenting!

 Raw Chocolate Pudding: 3 Ways Raw Chocolate Pudding: 3 Ways

This is so easy to make. Cut your avocado in half, remove the seed, pinch and squeeze the halves of avocado into the blender. Peel your banana, break in chunks and place it in with the avocado. Add the remaining ingredients into the blender and blend until nice and creamy. Add more liquids as needed for desired consistency. Taste for flavor adjusting to your liking and serve however you like. So easy and positively delicious!

Note: The reason I like the mix of avocado and banana is to lower the fat content. I have seen recipes calling for two avocados but have purposely chosen to stick with the banana instead for this reason. Feel free to omit the banana and add an extra avocado instead or add two avocados and one banana for a larger serving.

Each recipe makes one generous serving or two small servings.

The riper the banana, the sweeter it will be naturally saving you from having to add loads of extra sweetener. A nice ripe banana will have brown freckles and be mildly soft to the touch.

 Raw Chocolate Pudding: 3 Ways Raw Chocolate Pudding: 3 Ways
Basic Chocolate Pudding
(photos & basic recipe inspired by Made to Create)

Ingredients
  • 1 ripe avocado, skin and seed removed
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled
  • 3-4 tablespoons cacao/cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
  • 1/2 cup water, + plus more as needed

Blend all ingredients in blender until creamy scrapping down the sides as needed to incorporate everything. Add more water as needed for desired consistency. Taste for flavor and adjust accordingly. Top with a dollop of whipped coconut cream and shaved dark chocolate, cacao nibs or vegan chocolate chips. You can serve at room temp but I find it's best when chilled in the refrigerator for a couple hours. Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to a couple days.

Here's a great tutorial for the coconut whipped cream from Lunchboxbunch.com...truly a delicious topping! How to: Whipped Coconut Cream from Coconut Milk

My coconut whipped cream didn't come out as fluffy as it should have due to my impatience...I will be taking new photos soon. Once you see the tutorial you will see what I mean, it should be fluffy and mine is flat, albeit it's still delicious. :)

 Raw Chocolate Pudding: 3 Ways Raw Chocolate Pudding: 3 Ways
 Orange Chocolate Pudding

Ingredients
  • 1 ripe avocado, skin and seed removed
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled
  • 3-4 tablespoons cacao/cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, + more as needed
  • 1 teaspoon or so orange zest, optional

Blend all ingredients in blender until creamy scrapping down the sides as needed to incorporate everything. Add more orange juice as needed for desired consistency. Taste for flavor and adjust accordingly. Top with vegan chocolate chips and/or coconut whipped cream. You can serve at room temp but I find it's best when chilled in the refrigerator for a couple hours. Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to a couple days.

Cinnamon Espresso Chocolate PuddingCinnamon Espresso Chocolate Pudding
Cinnamon Espresso Chocolate Pudding

Ingredients
  • 1 ripe avocado, skin and seed removed
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled
  • 3-4 tablespoons cacao/cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup water, + more as needed

Blend all ingredients in blender until creamy scrapping down the sides as needed to incorporate everything. Add more water as needed for desired consistency. Taste for flavor and adjust accordingly. Top with vegan chocolate chips and/or whipped coconut cream. You can serve at room temp but I find it's best when chilled in the refrigerator for a couple hours. Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to a couple days.

For this to be 100% raw, omit the espresso powder. It's fantastic with just the cinnamon too!

Enjoy!

21 comments :

  1. Mmm... I love chocolate! Your puddings look so yummy! avocado is like the best! ;) I've been wanting to make a pudding. I'll have to try yours out! :) i'll make a chocolate pudding using one my my chocolate sauce recipes here: http://rawveganliving.blogspot.com/2013/02/6-healthy-raw-vegan-chocolate-sauce.html

    Thanks for sharing! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!! I'm totally making this on the weekend! I especially like the sound of the chocolate orange pudding...I really love that combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It's 1/2 teaspoon. I just fixed the recipe, thank you for pointing that out! :)

      Delete
  4. My friend and I tried making this recipe and I have to say, it was really bitter. So even though its not entirely vegan, its much better with honey. I mean a LOT of honey. Just keep tasting until it gets to your liking. oh and maybe less water if you like it too be thicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really helps to use very ripe bananas, they are much sweeter and will add sugar to the recipe. Glad the honey works for you and you still have a healthy chocolate pudding! :)

      Delete
  5. Stoked to try this! Thanks tons! Have you heard of Giddy Yoyo? Best raw chocolate I have found! Wild Heirloom Ecuadorian Arriba Nacional Cacao! Grown in mineral rich high elevation soil, watered by rain and PURE MOUNTAIN SPRINGS. Workers are paid BEYOND FAIR TRADE ; ). Raw. Vegan. Gluten Free. Dairy Free. Certified Organic. Canadian Company. Check it out:

    Giddy Yoyo ~ Raw Vegan Chocolate

    Feel the flow…

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this and I think that someone who doesn't like dark chocolate, bananas, avacados, or generally healthy tasting food wouldn't care for this recipe. I like all of those things, so I like it a lot. I like the fact that it is sweet, but not too sweet, and I especially love the smooth consistency and also how filling it is. I gave some to my husband, however, and he took one bite, made a face, then handed his bowl back to me, haha. I'll eat his for breakfast tomorrow morning!

    I would recommend refrigerating the avacado and banana for a few hours first, and I think next time I will use a riper banana as my pudding has that slight tannin acidity of a perfectly yellow banana. Finally, this recipe made about 2 cups of pudding (two small bowls full).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all those things too which is why this works great for me too. And more for you!

      I agree with you on all points! Chilling is ideal and the riper the banana the better!

      Thank you for sharing your thoughts and suggestions! Cheers :)

      Delete
  7. I used to medjool dates instead of maple syrup to sweeten and it is delish! Thanks for the recipe, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE medjool dates...that's a perfect replacement! I bet it was great and will definitely try that next time. Thank you! Cheers :)

      Delete
  8. MHHH, so easy and it tastes great! Thanks!
    www.yogarevive.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this tonight. It was really tasty. 3 tablespoons of cacao powder was borderline too much for me but still it was really good and easy to make. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it! The cocoa powder amount will greatly depend on how large your banana and avocado are, as well as how ripe they are. And we can't forget we all have different tastes. Some don't need too much cocoa. I'm with you on the lesser is good. Always best to start with the small amount and work your way up after tasting. I hope you enjoy this often! Cheers, and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. :)

      Delete
  10. This was surprisingly delicious and perfect for my little guy who is allergic to milk! Thank you for the milk-free alternative that tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! So glad this worked out for you. :)

      Delete
  11. I made this for the first time about two weeks ago and I have been making it everyday since! It's so delicious and a much healthier substitute to chocolate candies :)

    I have one question: what kind of mason jars are you using in the photos above? It seems like the perfect size container to serve the pudding in but I can't seem to figure out what size/brand the jars are and where to find them! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like this! Much healthier than other chocolate goodies. :)

      These mason jars are a mix of Ball & Kerr brands. They are wide mouth pint size jars (2 cups). I picked some up at a local grocery store. You can find them online or call around to find them in your local area. They are great for so many uses. I love them!

      Delete
  12. I wish I could figure out how to tell when an avocado is ready. I've been told that it's usually ripe when it feels soft to the touch but I've had avocados sit in my fruit basket for weeks, even in paper bags, and they never seem to get soft. Then when I cave in and try them, they never taste good. Either I'm doing it wrong or I just don't like the taste of them. It's just a major concern because I'd like to try this pudding recipe and don't want to use an avocado at the wrong stage of ripeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the feel test too. Sometimes you just can't win. I've had the same issue, so disappointing. Honestly, you won't taste the avocado with the cocoa...and you can always add a bit more cocoa if you need too. Just be sure your bananas are very ripe too!

      Delete
  13. found this blog tonight after being steered over via tumblr and i just made the basic chocolate pudding and it's fantastic! i also made a small batch with a little bit of chipotle powder and it's so yummy! can't wait to try more recipes :D

    ReplyDelete