The simples are my favorite. Full of color and flavor, this is one of those easy dishes I could eat almost everyday. The tomatoes are bursting with juiciness and the sautéed lemon adds a wonderful touch. Something about adding lemon to the skillet brings out their sweetness in a most delicious way. Pairing all of this goodness over a grain of choice, as well as a bean, rounds this meal out by giving you extra protein and fiber to leave you satisfied without feeling weighed down. Feel free to add other vegetables to this as well. This is just a template.
Skillet Asparagus & Tomato Medley
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 10 oz. asparagus
- 1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
- whole garlic cloves, as many as you like
- 2 lemons, quartered and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon or so olive oil
- himalayan salt & cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon or so thyme
- 1 can (15oz) white beans (I used cannellini)
- cooked quinoa, farro, barley, brown, jasmine or basmati rice (I used quinoa)
Prep your veggies and place in medium size bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, mix to coat. Add salt, pepper and a sprinkle of thyme, mix again. Heat skillet on medium to medium high. Add vegetables and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally, or until tomatoes soften. Serve on a bed of grains and beans...or however you like it! Serves two generously.
Enjoy the simples!