Butter Maple Pecan Ice Cream

Butter Maple Pecan Ice Cream

It's hard to believe January is almost over. Is time flying by or is it just me? And I know it's still winter but who can resist a great ice cream....especially when it's so easy to put together! This is for us who don't have an ice cream maker or are just too lazy to use one. I really love using bananas as a base for my ice creams and this fits in nicely with my collection. Bananas are inexpensive and when fully ripe are as sweet as can be. And they can be dressed up many ways, like this ice cream. I used to love butter pecan ice cream and now I can still enjoy it in a way that is beneficial to myself, tastes great and without using any animals in the process. It's a win, win, win...my favorite kind! I hope you find it as good as I do...

Butter Maple Pecan Ice Cream

Butter Maple Pecan Ice Cream

Ingredients
  • 3 large or 4 small ripe bananas, frozen or unfrozen*
  • 1/2 cup raw almond butter
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, to taste
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
  • 2 teaspoons or so vanilla extract
  • 1 cup pecans

Place ingredients, except for the pecans, in food processor/high speed blender and process, scraping down the sides as needed, until creamy and combined. Taste for sweetness, adding more maple syrup if needed. Stir in pecans. Place in air tight container and keep in the freezer for at least 6 hours to harden. Let sit for about 10 minutes or so to soften before scooping into serving bowls. Makes about 4 cups.

* If using frozen banana's, you can serve right away as it will be a soft serve ice cream. Or store in freezer to harden completely as above. 

As with any of my recipes, adjust flavors to your own taste...I have made this using 1/4 cup almond butter along with just a few tablespoons of maple syrup and tahini with great success. I have also used less pecans. So feel to play around with the ingredient amounts. 

Enjoy!

You may also like these other raw banana based ice creams...





24 comments :

  1. This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it. I have an icecream maker (and love it), but am always on the look out for icecream maker free recipes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to get an ice cream maker in the future. This works surprisingly well until then. Hope you get a chance to try it out soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to make this, I have all the ingredients going to whip up in my vitamix :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ice creams, even in the winter, so I bought an ice cream maker so that I can make the delicious dessert for my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks amazing. Thank you for sharing with us. I can't wait to try it as well as your other Vegan Ice Creams! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tried this - it was yuck, sorry. Strange, given we use frozen bananas daily in our smoothies. Flavour was just way too sweet and strong for us (Australians). Oh well. PS: why is the word "butter" in the title. Shouldn't it be called "Banana Maple Pecan Icecream?" Eating clean and lots of raw has given us a much blander palate I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't like it. It does have a rich and somewhat unusual flavor, especially with the tahini. And all you need it a little. I will change the maple syrup to 1/4 cup with adding to taste as needed just to be sure others start with less sweetness. If using fully ripe banana's one may not need to use as much pure maple syrup.

      I do like your name for it too...I was thinking butter from the almond butter.

      Thanks for the feedback. My other banana ice creams are much more mellow so give those a try, I'm sure you'll enjoy those.

      Maybe others will chime in with their thoughts. This may still need to be a work in progress. ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm intrigued by the tahini in this, but it looks so so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made this a few times and it is an interesting addition. I find the tahini to be very subtle and enjoyable. I'm not sure if I have just adjusted to the flavors as I haven't had anyone try it other than myself. With the one review above I'm not sure if this is a universal flavor. If you try it out, I would love to know your thoughts. :)

      Delete
  7. Just made this and I'm in love. I can't wait for it to set up in the freezer...I imagine it will only get better. Thanks for the post, it's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this! I was a tad worried that maybe my taste buds were off when eating this. I'm so glad to know that I am not alone and this it is a keeper. Cheers :)

      Delete
  8. I just whipped up a batch (using trans fat and hydrogenated oil-free peanut butter instead of almond butter as we did not have any on hand), and ate a mug full as soft serve. Delicious!!!! You can't tell it's not regular ice-cream! Very rich tasting as well. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious! I'm so glad you loved it...I need to make this again soon!

      Delete
  9. Just tried this reciepe literally seconds ago. Didn't have ANY nut butters, so I went without. Sadly it would have been been better it with it. Luckily, I loved it anyway! I think the almond butter would have mild out the banana flavour a bit, which was very persistent in my batch.

    This was a fantastic butter pecan inspired banana ice cream. Will definitely make again. Could you brew up a mint chocolate chip banana ice cream please?

    BTW, this is my absolute favourite vegan website. So inspiring. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved this even without it being perfect! I've was thinking about doing a mint chocolate chip banana ice cream a few months ago. I will step it up and get on it soon!

      Thank you for the kind words! Warm hugs :)

      Delete
  10. do you absolutely need the maple syrup or are the bananas sweet enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try without. If you have some coconut sugar that might be a nice addition too, use the lesser amount (although it may not dissolve). Let me know how it goes if you decide to give it a try!

      Delete
    2. If you decide to use coconut sugar...dissolve it wtih a little water before using...

      Really would love to know how it goes if you decide to not use the maple! :)

      Delete
  11. Is there anything I can use other than Banana's? I don't like them at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try a cashew based cream instead of the bananas. The only thing is I haven't tried it and don't know exactly how much cashew you would need to make this right. The banana flavor it pretty faint but if your very sensitive to them then try another recipe. I'll work on some cashew or almond based ice creams soon!

      Delete
  12. Really loved this recipe- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, mine did not set, I followed the instructions...blended all in blendtec, stirred in nuts and let set for 6+ hours, it turned out more like soft serve than ice cream...could you suggest ways I could correct this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it will need to set overnight. Let it rest up to 24 hours if needed and it should set by then. Hope it has set for you by now!

      Delete