I LOVE french toast! This version is so simple and delightful. It came out perfectly soft and moist in the center with subtle flavors of orange and cinnamon all around. Adding a nice glass of pure organic orange juice along side completed this any time of day meal. This would be great to serve when you have over night company. You can impress them with this easy breakfast/brunch they will surely want the recipe. This recipe is adapted from a very fun recipe blog called Vegan Stoner, you can find the original recipe here.
So easy to put together, simply mix your ingredients, dip the bread and cook on the griddle or skillet. Simple, straight forward and fast!
- 1 loaf french or sourdough bread, sliced
- 1/2 cup almond milk, or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed or pure organic orange juice
- 2 tablespoon pure cane sugar, maple syrup or coconut palm sugar
- a few dashes of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil, for griddle/skillet
- pure maple syrup to serve
- pure cane powdered sugar to garnish
In medium size, flat bottom, shallow bowl, mix milk and orange juice. Add choice of sweetener, cinnamon and optional vanilla extract, mix well.
Melt coconut oil on griddle/skillet at about a medium high heat, lightly dip both sides of toast in mixture and cook until golden brown on each side, approx 2-3 minutes per side. After dipping 3 or 4 toasts you may want to add a few more dashes of cinnamon to the mixture, it floats on top and will most likely be gone after the first few dips.
Serve with pure maple syrup and garnish of choice. Serves about 3 - 4, depending on how thick you slice your bread.